Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sewing, Crafting and stuff!

I haven't shared any of my sewing/craft projects in a while so I figure it's about time! (But honestly I've taken a break from that stuff for a while too so it's not much!) When mom came into town we had sewing camp and she taught me how to ruffle! I needed this tutorial because I found a wreathe that I really wanted to make from the Jones Design Blog on my page.

This is my practice ruffle before mom came to town and I had to take a picture of it so she could tell me what I was doing wrong. Well, I was doing a lot wrong. My sewing machine was on the wrong setting, I needed to sew 2 stitches to ruffle as opposed to 1 (I didn't need to but she said the ruffle is prettier), etc...the list goes on!


When mom came to visit this is what she helped me make! My fabulous ruffle wreathe! But now, I actually think it looks WAY boring and I'm coming up with ideas to snazz it up. I don't like using fake flowers, but I do like foliage and dried, natural products so we'll see. She did all the stitching because she's faster and then I ruffled and she ruffled a little too. I just hot glued my ruffles around and voila'! To make this go to Jones Design blog and click on tutorials. It's easy to find!

So then, I had all this burlap that I bought and wanted to make pillows for the guest bedroom. I also had this white canvas material (which is just way too thick to ruffle) and so I thought it would make a pretty ruffle across the burlap. This below was a practice ruffle.


Well, I had some serious issues! I was so mad at this darn fabric! You should have seen me, yikes! I had ruffled this extremely long piece of fabric to stretch across my pillow and I broke my thread in the middle/end! I was FURIOUS! It had already taken me extremely too long because I'm so new at this. I called my mom and lets just say I may have cried just a little bit because I was so frustrated and well I'm a perfectionist. I can't believe I'm admitting this, but yes I'm 28 and I called my mom and cried...whatever, you know you've done it (wink)! She said, "Honey, I've done that so many times and there's not much you can do. You'll just have to start over and next time don't use such a heavy fabric." Grrr, not what I wanted to hear. I was determined to beat this ruffle! So I used my practice ruffle, I cut my long ruffle into two even pieces (what I had left) and placed the cut pieces on either side of my practice ruffle and stitched them together and tacked it onto my pillow! It's not perfect, but hey, it serves its purpose!

The finished product! My stitch to close the pillow up is pretty ugly but at that point I just wanted to be done! I also need to practice doing a whip stitch, I'll get there. (p.s. it's really hard to sew burlap, it gets all womper jawed!)


I had 2 old euro pillow forms from when I lived in my Lewisville apartment which was maybe 3 years ago and I knew that I would eventually use them for something. So my day came and I thought, hmmm, burlap euros!! Genius! I first covered the pillow forms in white canvas material and then the burlap. They turned out great, super easy! I need some more pillows, something frilly and colorful for either side of the small burlap pillow.


David and I went to Grandma and Grandad Trout's in Ardmore in August to hear him preach and came home with two of these! LOVE THEM! I can't wait to recover them in a modern, funky fabric! Thanks Grandma! Grandma's trash is my new treasure!


My incredible grandparents! They are my hero's! David and I love visiting them and wish we could more often! Grandma is one of my very best friends, we have so much in common and have exactly the same taste! My grandfather is my hero and I look up to him more than anyone else! The best people anyone could ever have the pleasure of knowing and loving :) Lucky me!


Our guest room is in progress. The window is mounted way too high I've decided, I need a white bed skirt, need to recover the chairs, need more wall decorations, 2 more pillows, I SO wish we could paint the walls but we can't :(, I need to snazz up the wreath (boring), etc...the list goes on! I don't even want to show you the rest of the room! Yikes! But honestly, this room is not a priority and we don't want to spend too much money on decorating while we are renting. I'd rather wait until we buy because then these things will have a permanent placement.


Right now I'm working on my sisters earring holder (like my blue one), I'm almost finished and then I'll post pictures! And then here's us after church last weekend. I don't post enough of the two of us so this is an attempt to do so, that's the only purpose :)


And my goofy husband that was making me laugh in bible class last Sunday (embarrassing!)


What makes it even more embarrassing is that we were visiting my in-laws and in their bible class! Great! I must admit he's pretty cute and can easily be a distraction! Love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment