Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fall Comfort Food ~ Recipes

I've been scouring for some yummy new recipes and found a few that I'm going to try. So I thought I'd share the deliciousness! I really like to include pictures of the recipes that I try out but I'm being a bit premature and sharing before I make!

When September rolls around I'm on a pumpkin craze pretty much until the last day of November. I make pumpkin bread every year and need to find an even better recipe so when I do I'll share. I stole stumbled upon this recipe today on one of my sister's girlfriends blog (Jordan McCall)....

Pumpkin Pancakes
(107 calories per pancake)

2 c. of whole wheat white flour
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 c. skim milk
1 c. pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. vinegar

Now of course to make these probably a bit tastier and fattier you can use white flour and 2% or whole milk. But I'm always trying to "health" things up if I can and she mentioned that these were yummy just like this so I trust her judgement! I always use light maple syrup but I'm sure they would taste even better with real maple syrup!

I love making soup when the cool weather rolls around...I could live off of this stuff! I've actually made this soup before but I have to look up the recipe every fall on my sister's friends blog (Kelly). It's super yummy and makes quite a bit so you can adjust the ingredients accordingly.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

3-4 chicken breasts (shredded)
chicken broth
diced tomatoes
roasted green chile's
onion
zucchini
garlic
rice (I don't usually use rice)
corn
black beans
fresh jalapenos

Spices: garlic powder, onion powder,
paprika, tiny bit of cumin, salt, pepper

Toppings: avocado, sour cream, cheese,
tortilla chips or tortilla strips

To "health" it up....I don't usually use cheese, I use a tiny dab of light sour cream, a very small amount of avocado and reduced sodium chicken broth to cut back on calories, fat and sodium.

Another yummy for the fall...this would actually be great to do if you had a bunch of company! I've never made these brisket tacos but they sound and look absolutely amazing! I can't wait to try them!
I wish I could post a picture of how good they look but I don't feel comfortable stealing Kelly's picture from her blog. So I'll post a picture after I make them :) I would direct you to her blog but I'm not sure if it's open and I don't want to blast her either so this will have to do :)

Brisket Tacos

1 brisket (boneless)
1 can chipotle chile's in adobo sauce
1 beer, Guinness or dark Mexican beer
Seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic, onion, cumin,
oregano, chili powder, paprika, seasoned salt
corn tortillas
monterrey jack cheese
avocado
minced sweet yellow onion (about 1/4 c. or so)
lime wedges
1 can beef broth

Kelly's Instructions:
 Place the well-seasoned brisket fat-side-up in the crock pot.
Place some of the chipotle peppers around it, and smear all of the adobo sauce all over the fat.
Pour in the beer and 1 can of beef broth.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours 

Discard the fat, shred the meat, serve on corn tortillas with avocados, sweet onion, cheese, cilantro and some lime wedges!

I can't wait to try this! It sounds super easy and sooo yummy! I love crock-pot meals, you hardly have to do anything to prepare them!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment