Friday, June 17, 2011

30ish days of stuff...(this will be long)




Oh my. Let's see here, where to begin? It's been about a month since I was able to blog...I blame my May-mini for two weeks of non-blogging. Then just being busy busy for the other two weeks. 

Things that have been going on at our house...

We went on a vacation to Red River over Memorial weekend, it was so fantastic! That will be a post all by itself though, so much to talk about and so many pictures to post. First, I must figure out how to download pictures from my husbands camera.

Ugh, I had to take a May-mini and it was awful. I'm so tired of school! I'm currently mid-way through my Summer I class...let's just say that it is a complete joke, it's almost as if I'm not even taking a class. So I'm not complaining about this one and hoping that my Summer II class is just as easy! 

On a more exciting note, I've been really crafty lately...or been really crafty in my mind and have not yet put those crafts into tangible items.

My parents came for a visit the last weekend in May which was super delightful because they hadn't been to our house since we've moved in. It was so fun! My mother and I basically spent all day Saturday together doing girly stuff while Dad and David hung out and went to the movies. 

Mom and I went antiquing, duh, and then to a couple of fabric stores. We went to the Queen of all fabric stores...The Cabbage Rose Quilting! Love it! (I made a correction..I had previously posted cottage rose?? Not quite sure why I did that, woops!)


This picture really doesn't do it justice at all. It's amazing! This was definitely my favorite. We also went to Berry Patch Fabrics, which was Mom's favorite...I think because it's less overwhelming.

So let me back up a little, my mother is teaching me how to sew. When I was in middle school I used to make pillows on her serger but I never learned how to use a sewing machine. I have really been wanting to do all these projects...but sewing is crucial. So mom came for a visit and we had a one day "Sewing Camp." My sister went to sewing camp when she was younger and then took home-ec in middle school so she is pretty great, but me on the other hand...I didn't even know how to thread the darn machine. So here is my first project after mom gave me a little tutorial....


Not too shabby, eh? I didn't want to do a whip stitch, so I just closed it up with the sewing machine. Whip stitchin' it was just too advanced for me after learning how to do this :) But now, I think I'm ready for it! (Honestly, I just really wanted to complete the project because I was too excited about what I did!)

Earlier this week I found a tutorial on a blog that I LOVE and made this...


So this was just supposed to be a practice one so I used "ugly" fabric, that's not really ugly...just not the pretty fabric. This is too easy, anyone can do this. I did learn that I needed super stiff interfacing because it wasn't siff enough since the elastic wraps around the fabric envelope. This is for gift cards and money...just to snazzy up your monetary gifts. Really cute idea, I thought I could make a few to have available when I need them. I could have really used this about 3 weeks ago when I sent out two graduation gift cards. Oh well, there's always next time. And, I learned how to make that fabulous flower!...with the wrong fabric, but it still worked.

I'm working on a few other things and will post pictures soon. Here's a little sneak peek of what I will be working with...


Yes! I know you're loving these, who wouldn't?! I have this new found love and appreciation for sewing and FABRIC. I've already decided that I want to be really good at sewing, it is so much fun!! 

Random Interjection:

We went to Riscky's BBQ when mom and dad came for $9.99 all you can eat ribs. One of David's favorites!


Cute Parents! 


My lovely hubs! Doesn't he look so good in that blue shirt? Dreamy! If you could see up close, his eyes were as bright as his shirt...prettiest blue eyes ever! (That was the first thing my mom and sis noticed when they met him for the first time :)

Let's talk about the house...(I'm tellin' ya, this is 30ish days of random material.)

So I've been working on this for some time now...


It's taken me forever to finally get almost all of my plates. You can't just put any ol' plate up. Like mentioned previously, I like greens and blues. So I've been on the look out for plates, I'm so particular. But I found all of these that I love! They range between $2 and $12. I really don't like to pay more than $10 but I stalked one plate at my fave antique store for like two months and it went from $29 to $12 and I HAD to get it. It wasn't going to get any cheaper without being snatched up. I need two more and I'm finito! (That's finished right?)

Oh notice the lamp, remember my Wal-Mart lamp? It was actually $15 instead of $25...shade from Target (I own two of those shades, LOVE! They look like burlap lamp shades and you know my love for burlap.)

I found this earlier this week...


It's an old whiskey jug. Okay, so background...I have seriously been on the look-out for one of these for MONTHS and you know I'm a bargainer. There are plenty of these at my fave antique store but for like $70-$125! You must be crazy to think that anyone would pay that for a jug! Found it for $25--STEAL!

Another steal...


Kroger! Yep, the grocery store. Normally $150 and bought it for a whopping $60! Ahhh, love it! (the rug, not the table) :)

And finally a little change that makes a huge difference (in my eyes)...



Notice the old hardware still on some of the drawers, I should have taken a before and after picture. I think it makes a world of difference. Loving the new hardware, so pretty and so updated!

Movin' on into the kitchen...

Jordan Jolly McCall told my sister, who told me and I've since told my SIL-Merry about dough balls from SAM'S. If you go to the snack bar, you can get a case of about 20ish dough balls for roughly $15-16. Amazing pizza crust!! We have homemade pizza at our house once a week, mmm! I love experimenting with the toppings  each week, my favorite so far..pepperoni, mushrooms and jalapenos. David loves the meat lover's pizza, any and every kind of meat imaginable. 


Instructions:

Place dough ball in fridge day/night before to thaw.
I roll mine out on the counter and then transfer to baking stone to prevent it from sticking after you bake it. 
Do not use flour, it makes the dough very hard to roll out..I learned from experience twice.
Bake crust alone at 400 for 8 minutes.
Take out and put sauce and toppings on.
Bake at 400 for 17-25 minutes. Okay, so that is a big range and I'll tell you why. It's been different for me every time. I think it has to do with how evenly you roll your dough out and how much topping you put on it. I now bake mine for 20 and then slice it once to find out how soggy the bottom of my pizza is, I usually end up putting it back in for 5-6 minutes longer. It's usually perfectly crispy on the bottom after that. You'll just have to experiment.

My sis and SIL make pizza bites, which Merry loves and the kids love them too! I need to try those..I'll get the instructions for those soon or if you know my sister or Merry, you can simply ask them.

Other things...

I'm still training for my half marathon. I'm on week 5 (which is a repeat of week 4). This Saturday I will run 5 miles. I decided to repeat week 4 this week because last week I completely slacked on my running and did not want to move on and suffer. Smart move, right? So, next week will be my long run of 6 miles. Now this is a crucial time in my training only because last summer when I was training, I quit after 6 miles. I CAN'T quit this time. I'm just gonna keep on keepin' on...on the treadmill, because who runs outside when the temps are between 90 and 100 degrees. That's insane. 

I'm working with a trainer today, will be sore tomorrow. I've got all these sessions that I haven't used so I figure now is the best time since I'm running so much. 

July is crazy for us on the weekends: the 4th, wedding, wedding, Cooper's come to celebrate our men (birthdays are the 23rd and 24th), then who knows what the last weekend will be...I'm sure something will come up!

We bought a microwave! So lame, I know. The house was supposed to come with a microwave and it didn't and we just failed to buy one for really no reason at all. So we went 4 and 1/2 months without a microwave. You never realize how convenient they are until you don't have one. 

I get to see my sweet trio on Monday & Tuesday, they will be at my mom's for VBS. So pumped! And, I'm buying a mommy swim suit top...even though I'm just an auntie. We are going to the water park and I've learned over the past couple of years that to swim with 2 and 3 year olds, you mustn't wear a bikini top unless you want the world to see what you got. Learned that the hard way, will not risk that at a water park!

Okay, I'm thinking that's it for now. Soooo long. Have a great weekend! Will.Blog.Sooner.Than.30.Days!






2 comments:

  1. i love reading your blog posts! you blog a lot more often than i do...i just feel like i never have anything of importance to write about. hopefully i will find some inspiration soon! :) Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't write about anything important, really just anything..haha! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete