Friday, July 22, 2011

Food For Thought...Birthday Dinner(s)

Instead of writing a super long blog post this time I decided to break it up by category. No need to lose anyone that might not have a long attention span. So this is dedicated to Hungry Girl recipes and David's birthday dinner(s). At first there was just going to be one birthday dinner. I told David he could choose a few things amongst all that I make that are his favorite. So this is what he came up with (talk about random).

Poppy Seed Chicken
PW's Twice Baked Potatoes (Pioneer Woman)
Sourdough Bread (homemade)
and last but not least.... a Cookie Cake

I said what in world, that is the most random bunch of foods! But, it's his birthday...so his wish is my command. At the very beginning of our relationship I introduced him to poppy seed chicken, well he wanted it all the time. I am PSC'ed out! I don't ever make it anymore because I just can't even bring myself to eat it, not to mention it is so fattening. I used to ask him what he wanted for dinner and his response, "Poppy Seed Chicken?". Yeah, you can imagine how long the asking lasted, that soon came to a sudden stop. Now, he eats what I make. He's not allowed to be picky unless he just really doesn't like something. But luckily, I have a husband that will eat anything! Except....what is missing from his birthday menu? Yup, vegetables. He only really likes broccoli but will eat vegetables if I actually put them on his plate. So that's what I do...don't judge, whatever it takes.

Then I said to him, "Of all the desserts in the world, you choose a cookie cake? I'm not making a cookie cake, how boring!" So I listed off several desserts to choose from and he chose an oreo ice cream cake (which wasn't on the list but it's definitely more challenging than a cookie cake!). So I will be attempting my first ice cream cake...kind of nervous. If it doesn't work out, I can always buy one.

My day tomorrow will be cooking for his birthday dinner and planning for our family birthday dinner on Sunday. My in-law's are coming to our house for dinner to celebrate David's birthday on his real birthday. What's on the menu? Well, I figured I would do Ronnie and Margo a favor and not make them eat David's hodge podge of a meal and plan a real meal. I'm making the most delicious Italian Roast (recipe from Mrs. Carrie Nimz)! This is seriously the BOMB. It just melts in your mouth. Margo is bringing a salad and this is when we will actually eat the hopefully famous oreo ice cream cake. Then I have to come up with some yummy side dish.

(Melt in your mouth) Italian Roast


3 to 4 lb's of beef shoulder or rump roast
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms (drained)
1 onion (diced)
1 (1 1/2 oz pkg) spaghetti sauce seasoning mix
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce


Possible Additions:
1 cup red wine, fresh rosemary chopped and sprinkled over top of ingredients


Season roast with garlic salt, place in slow cooker.
Add mushrooms and onion.
Combine seasoning mix and tomato sauce and poor over roast.
Cover and cook on low 8-10 hrs, or high 4-5 hours.
Serve over egg noodles.

Compliments of Carrie Nimz. I turn to Carrie for recipes when I'm stuck. She and her sister, Jordan, have a gift in the kitchen!

Other foody thoughts....

I've been trying a lot of Hungry Girl recipes lately. Like I mentioned before, some are a flop. So piggy backing off of my fall theme a couple of weeks ago I ran across a parfait recipe...Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Parfait. It looked good and the concept sounded great but the taste...not so much. I think it was the texture that I just couldn't handle....

But it looked pretty....



Although, some of you might actually like it. If it weren't for the texture of the oatmeal mixture, I would have loved it. So for those that want to give it a shot, here ya go.

Panini? Yes Please!!! 

HG's Mega-Delicious Chipotle Chicken Panini is legit folks. I've had it twice and it's super easy to make, especially if you have a panini maker. I'm a big fan! Keep in mind...HG is healthy recipes for people that like the taste of healthy alternatives. Try it!!

Since we are on the topic of food I must mention this....

RIP Thai Coconut Shrimp Salad 

How sad is this? I went in and of course was looking for my salad and it's nowhere to be found! They apparently discontinued the salad because they got a new corporate chef that wanted to make some changes. Well, they said they get at least 10-15 people a week asking for that salad...shouldn't that tell you something Fish City Grill? Duh! They said they could make the dressing for me and I was thoroughly pleased. You just have to ask...not in all cases though. We were in Sugarland for a wedding and I ordered it and they weren't even going to budge. It never hurts to ask, just in case.

I'll have to take pictures of my famous oreo ice cream cake. I'll let ya know how that turns out. I'm also attempting my bread for the second time. The first was not so successful. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment