Thursday, March 10, 2011

Home Away From Home

As you may have read in my last post, our house was out of commission for about 5 days. David and I spent the weekend in Granbury, we already had intentions of going out there to play at the farm so it kind of worked out. Well, it was cold and the farm is no fun when it's cold, so on Saturday my husband was the greatest husband in the world, as always, and we browsed around The Square in Granbury. He went into every store with me and that is unheard of! The things you do for love :)

It's always so much fun to stroll around there on a Saturday, it's completely relaxing and such a beautiful place. My SIL, Merry, love's shopping there too. It's so fun when we can all go together. I have a few favorite stores that I always go to even if I don't make it into all of them. The first one is Brazo's River Trading Company. It's an antique store, I LOVE antiquing and I always find at least one or two fabulous antique purchases when we go. David enjoyed it too because Brazos River has some old guns and "dude" stuff that he enjoys looking at. This is my purchase that I HAD to have! Only $14.00, not too bad!
Isn't this plate AMAZING!?! I love the detail the most, notice the raised dots around the edge and the shape as well. There actually used to be a gold rim but it's almost completely faded except for in one place. I love it!

The plate below is actually a past purchase at one of the antique stores for five bucks and I love it just as much! I bought this plate at Merry Heart Tea Room on the square. The food is so amazing and it has a small area to shop in and this just happened to be one of the items. There was a complete set of smaller plates and a tea cup to go with it but I just wanted the one plate.
My MIL'S favorite store, and I really like it too, is St. Helen's. St. Helen's has new items to decorate with, lotion, jewelry, etc. You know, all the great boutiquey stuff. We love this store and this is one that I always visit! Another favorite is on the same side as the tea room and Brazos, I can't remember the name of it but this store has NEW and AMAZING, unique and kind of modern home decor items. It is a must!

We have lots of favorites, I suggest you go for yourself and decide which one is your favorite! David and I discovered a new store, we've been on the square a million times and we've never seen it! It's awesome! It's actually not on the square, a little bit behind but it can be seen if you're walking past the book store. It's called The Wagon Yard, it is a huge place and has everything from home decor to refinished, old furniture and new. It's incredible, we are amazed that we had never discovered it before, and now we really can't wait to go back. We discussed that if we had a ranch we would furnish our ranch house from this place! In our dreams, one day :)


Another store that is worth mentioning is called Accents II. It's not on the square but right across from the parking lot that leads to the beach. Don't let the store front fool you, it's got some great purchases. It also reminded me about a time before Scentsy came along and these were all the craze...
I can still appreciate the wonderful aroma of a Tyler candle over Scentsy any day! They strangely remind me of the good ol' Abilene days :))

The last shopping place I'll mention is The Antique Mall across from the beach. I believe it's next to or very close to a bed and breakfast. This place has some golden goodies, there is SO much to look at! I always spend at least an hour and a half browsing this store! If you don't love antiquing, then you won't love this place. But it's at least worth going in for a quick browse. If you like vintage, shabby chic and all that good stuff, then go, you won't regret it!

You can't tell me you don't love this....
Yes, it's milk glass and simply beautiful and one of a kind...at least in my mind. I'm sure there's another floating around out there in your grandmothers garage or something like that. I have a couple of filler ideas in mind. OH and notice the table, that's the refinished console table. Here's another peak at it...
It's hard to tell, but the hardware is a lime green/yellowish color--bought two at Hobby Lobby for $1.50 each. Much better than $10 apiece from Anthropology. I'm waiting to show the final product because we have to finish decorating. Greatness takes time ;)

Back to Granbury, I also ate at a wonderful hole in the wall. I've been there a few times actually. You should give it a try, the fried catfish and hush puppies are mmm mmm good!
Not sure what happened to my picture, but you get the picture (cheesy, I know). 
I tried to make a somewhat healthy choice for my sides considering I was eating fried catfish, hush puppies and tartar sauce. I really wanted the french fries and fried okra, I don't think my arteries would have forgiven me though.

I think everyone should visit Granbury if they want a quick weekend get away. There are bed and breakfasts and if your a hotel kind of person, check out the Hilton Garden Inn. It's very nice and pretty new. I'm not sayin' it's the W, but it's nice for Granbury. I'm not above the Hilton Garden Inn, sad for you if you are ;))

Plenty of great restaurants, Babe's being one of them! Here I go again with the fried food, but come on, you can't beat Babe's fried chicken! There are wine bars/restaurants and two bars/restaurants. One of them is new that I plan on trying when the weather gets warmer, it has a patio and TV's for you sports buffs!

The beach is actually a pretty beach to lay out on...I'm not into getting in the water though, only if I'm on a boat. You can rent boat's and jet ski's too if you prefer staying off land.

I should get paid for all this advertisement!! Second job maybe?? I just wanted to share one of the places that I LOVE to visit and think that everyone should spend at least one weekend of their lives to say that they've been! 

The main reason we go is to visit my wonderful in-law's, Ronnie and Margo! They are such a blessing! 

We also LOVE to visit the farm as much as we can in between March and July, it really starts getting too  hot in July. We would live there if we could, seriously, we think farm life would be the best way to live!

All my boys rompin' around bein' boys! I love them with all my heart! I better not jinks myself into having only boys in the future...I need at least one girl! These pictures are from last summer, can't wait for this summer!


Ahhh, this is our little home away from home! It's a little over an hour away but it feels like your ten million miles away from the crazy metroplex and it's seriously the best de-stressing place that I know to go. If you can't go to the farm, Granbury is equally de-stressing! I highly recommend it! 

Hope that you all have a fabulous weekend! I know that we will. We're spending time with my grandparents, my parents, my sister and all the Cooper babe's (they have my heart, next to my husband)! Sad that we're missing our BIL Casey :( Boo for work! 

Blog post soon to follow Spring Break 2011, OKC style! Love that I'm 27 and I can still say that I have a Spring Break, ahh

Happy Spring Breaking to all and to all a good night! 

1 comment:

  1. I just LOVE reading your blogs! They are so sweet! You really made me want to visit this little town of Granbury...it sounds just precious! LOVE you! :)

    ReplyDelete